LAKE PUCKAWAY PROTECTION AND REHABILITATION DISTRICT
Good Old Days
March 22, 2011 1:00 PM
The meeting was called to order by Secretary, Chairman Melsack, at 1:04 PM.
The certification of the open meeting law was met.
District Commissioners in attendance were Phil Malsack (Chairman); Clayton Masters, Treasurer; Roger Swanke, Rich Pergande, Margaret Whirry, Randy Schmidt and Paul Gettelman, Secretary,
Guests In attendance was Andrew Sabai, Lake Puckaway Coordinator.
Secretary's Report: Comm. Whirry moved to approve the December 16, 2010 minutes 2nd Comm. Masters Motion passed Comm. Masters made a motion to approve the January 25, 2011 minutes. Motion Passed
Treasurer’s Report: Comm. Masters reviewed the Treasures report 1-1-11 through 3-22-11. Comm. Gettelman made a motion to approve the treasures report as read. 2nd by Comm. Swanke
District Members input: Bernie Landermine explained and showed how much shoreline he has lost due to erosion. He was suggesting to put a rock break water out in front of his shoreline. Comm. Gettelman suggested that a rock break water with an opening from the phragmintes off the dredge bank to the north shore with a 20’ or so opening for navigation.
1. EPS Monitoring Plan, Derek Kanvenaugh and Ted Johnson: Derek said that they were unable to get the survey plots for the emergent vegetation with a control sight. Between him and Andrew Sabai, they will try to re establish new test areas. Comm. Malsack noted the issues with carp removal. He also noted that Dave Bartz would try and get someone to come and check the gates at the dam and also get some funding for them.
2. Sonic Fish Tagging for 2011: The DNR has vacillated between butting tags in the carp and northern, from doing it to not doing. Our grant has $20,000 for carp control.
Report on Hatchery operations and Scheduling for 2011: Comm. Gettelman gave a summary of what will be needed for the up coming walleye hatchery program. (see attached) Hatchery Schedule for 2011.
1. Approve payment plan for Project Coordinator—Andrew Sabai: It was noted that he is private contractor and he will bill us. How do we pay? Monthly, Quarterly, etc. 3 yr contract at ˝ time, 1040 hr per yr. Andrew would prefer to be paid monthly. There will be a summary of what was done each month prior to receiving his pay check. He will be paid at $1,666 per month for the next 3 years.
2. Discussion of work to do on Princeton Dam in order to place boards: It was discussed on how to remove any debris from the dam. It was also noted that the DNR is not apposed to a fixed crest dam. If we went with such a dam we would need to make sure we had a way to control the water level.
3. Discussion of Commercial Fishing on the lake and rule recommendations: Currently the DNR has a moratorium on the use of commercial fisherman on harvest carp in the state. More to come on this later this year.
4. Any other new business: Derek suggested that Andrew go the Lakes Meeting.
Comm. Masters made a motion to send Andrew to the Lake Conferences at the rate of $170 plus Meals and mileage. Motion Passed Derek noted that Andrew would need a boat and motor. Comm. Masters made a motion for the district to purchase a boat, motor and trailer not to exceed $4000.00 2nd Comm. Swanke. Motion Passed
5. The status of AMC: Comm. Schmidt felt that we could disband the committee.
6. Next meetings: April 26 or 27 or before to do the budget. The articles need to be to Comm. Masters by May 1 or 2. The news letter needs to be out by May 16. The next is April 18, 1 PM at Tucked Away. The annual meeting will be the first Saturday in June, 4th at the Marquette Village Hall.
7. It was noted that there is a Fox River Association that runs from the Princeton Dam to the Euraka dam.
8. Comm. Pergande made a motion to continue to be a member of the Lakes Association. 2nd by Comm. Whirry. Motion Passed
Comm. Whirry moved to adjourn the meeting. 2nd by Comm. Schmidt. Motion Passed. The meeting was adjourned at 3:05 PM
Paul Gettelman, Secretary
Documents to accompany the minutes in the official record:
Treasures report 1-1-11 through 3-22-11.
Walleye Hatchery Schedule--2011
[As with all minutes, these are in draft form until approved at the next LPPRD meeting.]