LAKE PUCKAWAY PROTECTION AND REHABILITATION DISTRICT
Good Old Days
December 8, 2011 1:00 PM
The meeting was called to order by Secretary, Chairman Malsack, at 1:04 PM.
The certification of the open meeting law was met.
District Commissioners in attendance were Phil Malsack (Chairman); Clayton Masters, Treasurer; Roger Swanke, Rich Pergande, Margaret Whirry, Randy Schmidt and Paul Gettelman, Secretary,
Guests In attendance was Andrew Sabai, Lake Puckaway Coordinator, Bob Burdick, Pat Kilby, Marquette Co.
Secretary's Report: Comm. Masters moved to approve the September 8, 2011special meeting minutes as read and posted on our Web page. 2nd Comm. Schmidt Motion passed
Treasurerís Report: Comm. Masters reviewed the Treasures report 1-1-11 through 12-8-11. Comm. Gettelman made a motion to approve the treasures report as presented and explained.. 2nd by Comm. Swanke (The cost of $850 for Daryle Christiansen report/study is for 3 years)
District Members input: No Response
Suspended the agenda and moved to new Business, shoreline Restoration to allow Pat Kilby of Marquette Co. See item 1 in new business; After this we went back to Old business and followed the agenda as prepared.
1. Carp Study UpdateóA discussion on what the Carp study involved. A copy of the report was handed out and will be sent to all commissionaires. To date the commercial fisherman have taken out approx.. 410,145 Carp and 78,250 Buffalo. Comm. Malsack noted that we need to take out 400,000 #ís per year. We need to see how the amount of carp taken out affects the aquatic vegetation.
2. Grant update: Comm. Masters gave a summary of the info that he has sent in for the grant. He is expecting to get back $20,087.12 from the DNR for their share of the Grant. He sent this in in mid-November. Comm. Malsack directed Andrew to contact Ted Johnson of the DNR if we are going to do EPS this year with the MOU that we have aquatic plant plantings along with any other type of projects.
3. Report from Andrew: He noted that he hasnít done much in November. Meeting with Ron Bruch set for next week.
1. Shoreline Restoration Projects-Applications-selection process: Pat Kilby of Marquette Co gave a summary of what $ is available for folks on the North shore (Marquette County). Applications for shoreline restoration were submitted to the District and a process of selection was discussed. Marquette Co is willing to restore the buffer, ie; vegetation or rocks. They prefer buffers other than rocks if at all possible. Chairman Malsack suggested the review and approval process should be given to Pat Kilby, Marquette Co.; Derek Kavanaugh, Green Lake Co.; Andrew Sabin, Lake Puckaway Coordinator. Comm Gettelman made a motion to have Pat, Derek and Andrew reviews the permits that were submitted to the LPPRD and submit them to the LPPRD by Jan. 15, 2011 2nd by Comm Swanke. Motion Passed
2. Report on Commercial Fisherman: They have caught approx.. 410,145 #ís of Carp and 78,250 #ís of Buffalo. Comm. Malsack is suggestion that we pay the commercial fisherman $10,000 per calendar year towards the permit for 2011 and 2012 that they take out 400,000 #ís of carp .If they get a million #ís of carp the LPPRD would pay $25,000 towards his permit fee. The $10,000 would be paid after each year starting in 2012 with retroactive pay back to 2011. Comm Whirry suggested that if they got their 400,000#ís in early 2012 they would get their 2011 check. These poundage slips have to be from the company that buys the carp, not their personal slips. Comm Whirry made a motion
3. Endangered and Threatened Species Report. Comm. Malsack gave a summary of the report by Daryl Christiansen.
4. Any other new business: New Town Hall for the Town of Marquette. It was suggested that we look into having an office there. Comm Whirry will check into this. Meeting dates for 2012 were set and a calendar has been set. Locations for the meeting place will be determined prior to the meeting. Jan. 19; April 19; June 2 (annual meeting); July 19; Aug. Lake tour date TBD; Oct. 4; Dec. 6;
Concern was expressed with the removal/repair of the Montello Dam and what will be coming down to the lake. No exact date as to when they plan to start this project.
Comm. Whirry moved to adjourn the meeting. 2nd by Comm. Schmidt. Motion Passed. The meeting was adjourned at 3:15 PM
Paul Gettelman, Secretary
Documents to accompany the minutes in the official record:
Treasures report 1-1-11 through 12-8-11.
Meeting Calendar for 2012 atached
Population Dynamics of Common Carp and their impact on Carp Control Efforts- Bruch
[As with all minutes, these are in draft form until approved at the next LPPRD meeting.]