Lake Puckaway Protection and Rehabilitation District

 Meeting-Princeton Dam

October 3, 2013    1:30PM

Mecan Town Hall

The meeting was called to order by Chairman Malsack at 1:30 PM.  Chairman Malsack noted a correction in the agenda with the movement of the #5 “District members input” to after New Business.

The Certification of the open meeting law was met with it being posted on the web district web site and other areas around the lake.

District Commissioners in attendance were: Phil Malsack (Chairman); Clayton Masters (Treasurer); Paul Gettelman (Secretary); Roger Swanke; Randy Schmidt, and Rich Pergande: Absent; Margaret Whirry.   

Guests: Andrew Sabai (Lake Puckaway Coordinator); Derek Kavanaugh (Green Lake County Land Conservation Dept.); Aaron Buchholz (District Land Program Manager).

District Members in attendance; there were 38 district members in attendance.

Secretary’s Minutes:  The minutes were summarized from the July 23 special meeting by Chairman Malsack.  It was also noted that the minutes were posted in the Lake Districts web page.  A motion by Comm. Masters and 2nd by Comm. Schmidt  to accept the minutes as reviewed, emailed and posted.  Motion Passed

Treasurers Report:  Comm. Masters gave a summary of the Treasurer’s Report from 1/1/2013 thru 10/1/2013.  Comm Masters noted what we have had to purchase for the dam board installation.    Comm. Gettelman   made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report as presented, 2nd by Comm. Pergande.   Motion Passed

 New Business:

A)   Aaron Bucholz (District Land Program Manager) was introduced by Chairman Malsack.  Aaron gave a brief summary of what he does as far as the DNR.  He gave a brief background regarding the Princeton Dam.   He is going to suggest a fixed crest dam with the ability to control water level on the lake.   Also do this as economically as possible for all involved.  He noted that they have not budgeted for this but they are in the budget process at this time.  They are looking at $50-$70,000 for an engineer study for what the dam may need to convert to a fixed crest.  Hoping to get this funding secured in 2014.   Chairman asked if the district could kick in the $ for the study.  He would look into this possibility but he would like to see us use the DNR funding at this time.   If we did, the following would be the tentative time table; the DNR has funding available in the 2014 budget for the engineer study (right now until 7/2014); then do that study in 2014; this would follow with the public hearings in 2015 and go to budget;  put the dam modification in the 2017-19 budget; construction would follow.  The engineer study will start after securing the funding, it should be done in 2014.  Chairman Malsack asked that the electric weir stay in.  Aaron thought this may be a problem and would be a talking point.

B)   Chris Hamerla  Exotic invasive species coordinator for Green Lake County.  Chris noted that the invasive species of Brittle Naiad has been found on the west shore of Lake Puckaway.  He noted that he was on lake on Tuesday, Sept. 24th and he had found some brittle naiad.  Brittle naiad is a prohibited aquatic plant in WI because of its potential to be very invasive in other areas it has been found.  He’s not sure of the extent of it but will be monitoring it more and will let us know. He also noted that Brittle naiad is only known in three other lakes in WI, one of which is Mason Lake (Marquette/Adams Co.)  Not much is known but he will learn what he can and keep us informed.  

 

District Members input:    It was asked if we could add a 4th board.  Chairman Malsack noted that we couldn’t due to an agreement with the DNR; What was the cost of the Eureka Dam,  Aaron said that he would get the cost of the Eureka dam.  He noted that the dam was built in 1984;  It was asked about the loss of the bulrushes.  Chairman Malsack gave brief summary of the loss of the bulrush and possible various causes with the basic cause being the carp.  He noted that Andrew Sabai has data on the water quality.  It was noted that there is ditching and the chemicals that run off into the ditches from the farmers could be a partial cause to our vegetation;   A member stated that he says he sees a prolonged program with no leadership (in relationship to the DNR and the Princeton Dam).  He wanted to know why he couldn’t dig a ditch along his dock in the lake.   It is noted that we have no authority in this part and is referred to the Will Stitz. (When asked further of the individual, he noted he had never contacted the DNR regarding his property and was comment on what he had heard from others);   Is there some way that the lake district can help with getting boats out and such when there is low water;  Could info on permits be put on the web page.  We will work at doing this.  Derek Kavanough said that he could assist with the permit process even though he is in Green Lake County.  The chairman of the Town of Marquette noted that they are in support of the LPPRD.  He was also concerned with the input of Derek’s study of water level management on how it will affect the DNR’s study on the Dam.  Derek gave a brief summary of what his study is and what the water level does at what level.  Andrew will give a summary on this:  It was asked “What study has established the 3 boards on the dam”.   Chairman noted that it was an agreement with the DNR and that it has been noted that it is the best for the lake.

8. Old Business

            A)   Shoreline Restoration project summary for 2013;  Comm. Masters noted that a couple of projects have been approved on the north shore.  They were supposed to start in mid-September.   We will not be doing a buff zone.  It was noted that we didn’t get a lot of applications. 

B) We will have to do an extension on the Grant program.  It is noted that we will need to do an extension for fisheries for the carp sonic tags

            C) Lake Coordinator report;  Andrew noted that after the grant is over that the water quality monitoring should continue.   He gave a summary of the water quality thus far this year.  He noted that high water flushes out the system and the clarity of the water.   He also is monitoring the vegetation in the lake for the fisheries.  Vegetation is controlled by water levels.  High water is detrimental to vegetation growth.   Endangered species:  Foresters Tern and Common Tern are the two that we are working with.  The forester tern nested on 19 of the 20 nesting platforms.   The two Common Tern nesting barges had birds there but none nested.  The bulrush that we had planted did great until the high water came this year and took out the majority of the bulrush.  Water level monitoring has been done in the past by staff gauges in 3 locations, Fish Camp, Log Cabin and Princeton Dam.  They wanted to get a higher resolution of readings.  They put in automatic water level readers at a 15 min interval.   With these gauges he can see the rapid changes with these units.  He noted that he working on a carp study and needs to see how they affect the other fish and the lake. (part of the minutes will be the complete report from Andrew on “Priority Projects to continue after Current Grant” which was summarized above and information on the “Flashboard Installation-August 8, 2013”)

            D) Discussion of Functions of Lake Coordinator Position for 2014;  Chairman Malsack gave a summary of  what we should continue with in the Grant and the Lake Coordinator.  The grant runs out on 12/31/13 but Andrew will work Jan and Feb of 2014.  There is not much money from the grant left over at this time

            E)  Comm Masters noted that they going to remove the buoys with the pontoon boat.   They will also winterize the well at fish camp.  The east channel buoys will be put at the DNR parking lot in Marquette with DNR approval.

            F) Sonic tagging of Northern;  20 tags are needed.  We need to order these tags through the Oshkosh service center.  Aaron will check on this and help out.

            G)  The boat needed a water pump for $269

 

Comm.Master moved to adjourn the meeting; 2nd by Comm. Gettelman.   Motion Passed  Meeting adjourned at 3:50 PM

 

Respectfully submitted,

Paul Gettelman, LPPRD Secretary

 

 Part of the official minutes will include:

Treasurer’s Report 1/ 1 /2013—10/1/2013

Flashboard Installation-8/8/2013

Priority Projects to continue after Current Grant end

Attendance list

Agenda